Lutherville Historical Colored School # 24 Museum
Lutherville Colored School # 24 before restoration
The Lutherville Colored School #24 was constructed in approximately 1908 by the Baltimore County school system as a one story frame clapboard building with a stone foundation. In accordance with the “separate but equal” laws of the early 1900’s, Baltimore County constructed the school to provide education for the African-American population in Lutherville and the surrounding towns. The Lutherville Colored School #24 existed as a “grade school” for children until segregated schools were deemed unconstitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1954. Baltimore County subsequently used the colored school building for storage until it was scheduled to be sold by the County in 1993.
To preserve the cultural and historical legacy of the Lutherville Colored School, Helen and Arthur Chapman purchased the colored school from Baltimore County around 1994: the colored school building had suffered considerable damage over the years and required over $100,000 of their own funds to restore it to its present state. In 1996, Helen and Arthur Chapman dedicated the Lutherville Colored School #24 as a museum of African-American history in honor of the late Mrs. Marie E. Jackson. Known as Aunt Ree to family, she was a resident of Lutherville, a former student of the colored school and member of the Lutherville Community Association-. the Lutherville Community Association was instrumental in navigating the sale of the colored school to her family members.
This website is being developed by John Rose III public relations volunteer for the museum. The Lutherville Historical Colored School #24 Museum is a private institution created and operated by Helen and Arthur Chapman.