"1907. Baltimore County school system built a one room schoolhouse for Black children. Black students had previously been educated in a rented room in the Odd Fellows Hall since the early 1880's. The schoolhouse was expanded to two classrooms in 1919. There was a central cloakroom separating the two rooms. The school was closed in 1955 with the advent of integration. The museum houses an oral history collection of the community and serves as a center for Baltimore County African American genealogical information. Visitors step into the classroom complete with original books, blackboard, windows, walls and floor, and a pot-bellied stove."
Mission: To preserve Lutherville's African American community history so that future generations can learn of an important part of their heritage".- National Trust for Historic Preservation Website 2012
William C. Samuel Adams, 72, chronicled black communities
Baltimore Sun Newspaper Dec. 24, 1907
Baltimore Sun Newspaper Sept. 4, 1907
Baltimore Sun Newspaper Aug. 23, 1906
WEB Links and
Maryland at a Glance